“The Law is the Great Formula which the Creator set in the Solar Pattern of the universe so that His Creations would have freedom- one of the most important of all things… The Law by which things manifest in the world or your life, is the process of or means of using the creative power which brings all things into manifestation. It is the ‘Living Formula’ of all mankind WHETHER YOU KNOW IT OR NOT.”
– Father Paul Blighton
Human beings are always using the Law of Manifestation to create the circumstances of their lives and it always exists regardless of our understanding or beliefs. We cannot help but do so, as it is our innate nature as creators made in the image of THE Creator. A wise man once said, “look at your life and you’ll see what you’ve been praying for”. Like energy attracts like energy.
Essentially, the Law is God in action, aka, the Holy Spirit. It exists, it is observable, it is workable, and belief has NOTHING to do with it. This is science in its purest form. There are many different styles and approaches to working with the Law, and they are referred to by names such as visualization, prayer, magick and sorcery. The differences lie in the rituals surrounding them and the nature of the intentions involved.
My first exposure to the Law was through a film version of the popular New Age book, The Secret. It talks about using the Law to attract and manifest what you want into your life: a new job, a new car, a new girlfriend. I thought it was pretty cool stuff. I read Shakti Gawain’s book Creative Visualization, I started getting into magick, and I’ll tell you what, it DOES work. The problem that I found with things like The Secret in retrospect as I became more spiritually mature was that it was seemingly all about satisfying the ego. It was about fulfilling materialistic desire and spoke very little about selfless service, and only seemed to show using the law of karma to satisfy selfish ends.
I will also add that there are definitely consequences to using this recklessly, especially if there are other people involved in the fulfilment of your desire. The old saying “be careful for what you wish for, because you just might get it” is painfully true. However, these bumpy roads and potential diversions led me to where I am today- literally. I used the Law of attraction/manifestation to bring myself to Oregon. I used it to bring about the current job I have.
In the early 20th century, a professor named Napoleon Hill interviewed some of the richest, most powerful men of the time- names like Carnegie, Rockefellar, Roosevelt, Ford, and Edison- and asked them how they were able to accumulate such a tremendous degree of wealth. He eventually put this into a book entitled, Think and Grow Rich, in which he outlined the 6 steps for the attainment of desire or “riches”:
1. Fix your mind on exactly what you want to manifest. Be clear and definite. There are psychological reasons for making something definitive.
2. Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for what you desire. There is no such reality as something for nothing.
3. Establish a definite date when you intend to possess what you desire.
4. Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire, and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action.
5. Write out a clear, concise statement of what or how much(if concerning money) you intend to acquire, name a time limit for its acquisition, state what you intend to give in return for it, and describe clearly the plan through which you intend to accumulate it.
6. Read your written statement aloud, twice daily, once just before retiring at night, and once after arising in the morning. As you read- see and feel and believe yourself already in possession of what you desire.
Prayer works in a similar manner (as does magick), the difference being is that there are unseen forces that are consciously being named and called upon. I typically use the following formula when I pray for something or someone:
1. Get into a meditative state, emptying the mind, calming the breath and visualizing golden Divine Light entering through the top of your head, filling your body.
2. Visualize what is desired as clearly as possible; feel how it would feel to have it occur, picture yourself as though you were ‘there’. If you are praying for a person, visualize that person in their “perfection” as a being of Light, Life and Love. Say their name while visualizing them as being happy, healthy and complete.
3. After holding the image in your mind for a few minutes, allow this image to be absorbed or “released” into the Divine Light. Assume it to already be done, and surrender the prayer/desire to the Creator, or whatever god, angel or force you feel appropriate.
4. If this is something that we are looking to manifest or change in our lives or in the world, keeping your eyes and ears open for opportunities to do the “ground work” to assist in manifesting the desired reality.
Now, sometimes, a lot of labor isn’t necessary for outcomes to manifest after you have visualized them. Sometimes you can just visualize events in your mind clearly and have them manifest before your eyes. I often will do this playing cards or playing pool with my girlfriend (she HATES it when I do that); but when it comes to the important things, YOU CAN’T JUST SIT AROUND AND WAIT FOR STUFF TO HAPPEN.
It should also be noted that we need to be absolutely unified on all levels- Mind, Heart, and Will about what we wish to manifest. The Universe respects Unity above division in consciousness. Likewise, we need to be absolutely focused. If we’re “wishy-washy” about what we desire, then we don’t really want it that bad. No sometimes, regardless of all that, there are still greater plans and forces at play then what we can see in our limited and sometimes selfish perspective. Some prayers are best left unanswered.