A couple of years before I was ordained, my teacher instructed me to do a specific meditation, not for a week, not for a month, but an ENTIRE YEAR- 365 days! I am challenging all of you out there to do the same. The following are detailed instructions and pointers on what I found was the most effective way to get the most from it:
1. Sit in a comfortable chair that allows you to have your spine straight. Sit as though you are being suspended from the ceiling by a string attached to the top of your head. Shoulders back and relaxed and your chin tilted slightly downwards. Gently close your eyes.
2. Touch your tongue gently to the roof of your mouth. Breathe in through your nose and out through a barely opened mouth. Inhale by expanding your belly and breathe completely through the lungs. Upon the exhale, breathe out as though you are wringing out a sponge.
3. Focus on your breath. Exhale and release any tension from your body. Let the worries and concerns of the day become a distant memory. As thoughts come up, observe them in a distant fashion and let them pass. Continue focusing on the breath.
4. Bring your attention to your solar plexus- the area just beneath your heart at the base of your sternum. I’ve found it best to think of it like you are literally looking down into this area with your eyes. At this point, visualize a soft, glowing light originating from this point in your solar plexus.
5. Visualize this light expanding from within. I will often see it as growing brighter when I inhale, and expanding further throughout my body as I exhale. See this light infusing into every cell of your being. Continue to expand the light until it forms what is shaped like an egg around your being that expands at a distance of approximately 3-feet from your skin. Feel this light healing you and driving out all imperfections and character defects from your being.
6. Now, visualize this light shining from you to all of the “light-workers”; our brothers and sisters who are also consciously participating in the Great Work of spiritualizing matter and raising the consciousness of humanity for the liberation of ALL beings. These could be people from your spiritual community; friends, family, or people you have never met- really anyone doing spiritual work with good intent. This is how we build fellowship at a distance and strengthen the work. We cannot do this alone.
7. Extend this light and support to those beings who work at a higher level for the good of humanity and the Earth. Some refer to these beings as “the Host” or “Ascended Masters”. These are humans as well as other beings who have either willingly transcended being in a physical, 3-dimensional body (bodhisattvas), or semi-physical or spiritual beings (star beings, angels, etc.) who actively work with humanity and the Earth. If you have a difficult time with discarnate entities, imagine the forces of Light, Life and Love present within all human beings having a multi-dimensional existence of their own, working within the spirit and psyche of the collective humanity for our collective good.
8. After you feel you have a good handle on this, visualize this light going to all members of the races across the globe. This will work to break our concept of separateness and selfish interest. Feel a sense of kinship good will extending to your brothers and sisters in humanity across the globe. Feel the elevation in consciousness that is taking place at that moment. See humanity in its true state of peace and love.
9. For the last phase of the meditation, visualize the entire planet- our Great Mother Earth- surrounded by this great white light. Like you, this light emanates from her core. See this light cleansing and purifying Her; see this light becoming more and more brilliant until there is nothing except Light, Life and Love.
10. As you hold this thought, breathe in naturally, but consciously. Hold the thought in your mind that the creation of the New Heaven and New Earth and the Great Work is taking place AT THAT MOMENT. Now exhale, and upon the exhale, chant the word, “ Aum” and open your eyes.
This should be done for a minimum of 30 days, however I challenge you all to do this for 365 days and see what happens 😉